Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
(Management & Executives)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Chief Executive Officer (Mining experience required), Confidential Company
The company is a publicly traded mineral exploration company based in Toronto, focused on discovering and developing significant iron resources in Northwestern Ontario, Canada.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the primary focus of the Chief Executive Officer will be to set the strategic vision for the organization and will have overall P&L accountability for providing effective leadership and direction to all aspects of the business. He/she will define, implement and drive the business plan to take this early-stage mining company to a viable and profitable organization. On behalf of the board, the Chief Executive Officer will be the face of the organization and will be accountable for marketing and elevating the profile of the company, determining and securing additional capital requirements and building a strong management team. As well, the Chief Executive Officer will ensure the assets of the company are safeguarded and optimized in the best interests of the shareholders.
Key Short-Term Deliverables:
- Gain a deep and broad understanding of the organization that will enable the Chief Executive Officer to raise awareness for the business in key financial markets, pursue financing, and gain a thorough understanding of the full potential of the iron ore deposits.
- Lead a pre-feasibility study in order to determine the full potential of drilling and exploration activities, and then pursue definitive and bankable feasibility studies.
- Build strong relationships and work collaboratively with the First Nations/Metis groups in the region; finalize memorandums of understandings and then engage in the process to discuss, negotiate and settle the terms of ‘Impact/Benefits Agreements’.
- Oversee the completion of baseline and other environmental studies sufficient for comparing the impacts of both open-pit and underground mining techniques.
- Build and develop a high performing team including geologists, finance, operations and engineers. Establish clear direction of responsibilities, objectives and goals.
- Identify, build and develop effective working relationships with external shareholders and investor relations; raising funds, promoting the business and stock of the company.
- Pursue and evaluate strategic initiatives for the company, including possible acquisitions, off-take agreements, divesting, strategic alliance and mergers or take-overs.
The Chief Executive Officer will be a strategic and innovative leader who will quickly earn credibility in the eyes of the primary stakeholders and continue the evolution and growth of the company for long-term sustainability.
The Chief Executive Officer will bring a successful track record as a CEO, President, COO or Senior Executive in a publicly-traded growth oriented business in the mining sector. He/she will have proven experience in taking a mining company from early stages into production including conducting feasibility studies, raising capital, and promoting a business to current and prospective shareholders. The Chief Executive Officer will have an impeccable business record and reputation and must be a hands-on leader.
- Demonstrate strong business acumen to drive the development and execution of strategic plans.
- Proven experience in investor relations and strategic development and implementation.
- Proven ability to conceptualize what needs to be done, set directions and attain business objectives and goals.
- Display high levels of creativity and business acumen to drive the business.
- Exhibit significant entrepreneurial instinct, drive and energy, along with a relentless approach to success.
- A leader who is ‘hungry for results’ and not afraid to ‘roll up his sleeves’ and get into the details to achieve wins, opportunistic in terms of driving business results, pragmatic and realistic in approach.
- Collaborative leader, effective relationship-builder, and strong team player.
- Foster an atmosphere of operational excellence in the deployment of both capital and people.
- Swiftly assess the management team against the needs of the business and implement any necessary additions and changes.
- Lead organizational and cultural development to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, while maintaining transparency and strong relationships with staff, business partners and shareholders.
- Financial acuity and the ability to understand and communicate financial goals with a strong understanding of return on invested capital.
- A reputation for: integrity, business savvy, common sense, sound judgment, team orientation, customer focus, decisiveness, detail-orientation, and effective change management.
- He/She must have a strong fact-based decision-making capability.